Child poverty group presses for more govt help as demand for benefits and food grants surges

So   how  is  the  team  of  five  million  looking after  its   latest  encounter  with  Covid-19  and  its  more  transmissible  Delta  strain?

The  majority    will  be  relieved  to  have  escaped  its  clutches.

On  the  other  side  of the  ledger,  the virus  has  had  a powerful  impact  on  lower-  income  groups.

One  lobby  group,  noting the current lockdown triggered the largest weekly increase in numbers of people receiving benefits since the first lockdown last year, says the government isn’t doing enough to help affected families.

The latest MSD reporting also shows food grant numbers near the end of August were double what they were at the same time last year, when Auckland was in a level 3 lockdown.

The  Child  Poverty  Action  Group  says unlike last year, the government is not offering any lockdown-related entitlements to families on benefits.  But CPAG spokesperson Janet McAllister  says their research  shows communities are worse off now than they were before Covid hit.

“So having no reliable support for unexpected lockdown bills for things like school-related internet and power means people are really hurting.”

Food grants in the week ending August 27 topped 40,443, more than double what they were at the same time last year at 19,446.

 “Food insecurity is caused by income insecurity – and not everybody who needs a food grant can get one. This is a huge wake-up call that the current income support systems are inadequate,” says McAllister. 

Benefit numbers increased 4,578 in the week ending  August 27 (the first full week of this current lockdown to 357,969 – a higher increase than any previous weekly increase since late April 2020, the last time the country was in level 4 lockdown. Most of the recent increase is due to people losing paid employment.

“Work Ready” JobSeeker Support recipient numbers increased 4.2% in only two weeks.

“What’s shocking is that low-income families who need income assistance now because lockdown has taken away their livelihoods also find the Government has taken away one of their child-related payments, just when they need it most,” said McAllister.

“Whether their caregivers are in paid work or not, children in benefit-recipient families are not eligible for all Working For Families child-related payments, meaning they miss out on over $70 per week of support reserved solely for families off-benefit.”

CPAG is urging the Government to immediately increase incomes for all families needing income support.

Families losing jobs and those on fixed low incomes are bearing the brunt of this lockdown.  McAllister  says  if the government allowed them the basic dignity of reliable, secure and adequate income support, that would relieve much of their lockdown-related shock and distress.” 

Compared with the start of the first lockdown, an additional 22,000 children were in benefit-receiving families in June this year (the latest figures available), an increase of 12% to nearly 205,000 (204,726).

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.